Monday, June 11, 2012

Mr. Kim

A Oakland neighbor let me stay at his deep Brooklyn, Bensonhurst place while I was in NY. I got to the door after the long trek from the airport, was struggling with the keys when the door open itself from the inside ->>> Mr. Kim, there was some lack of clarity so I wasnt expecting to be having a housemate. A frail, older, petite Korean man. Strangely distant from living family. Once had a woman in Korea who he wanted to raise enough money to bring over and marry but time kept moving and the money never was enough - so she moved on too.

One night I was having coffee with him at the local Dunkin Donuts and all of a sudden he asks if he could offer advice. I say yes. He says "Get married. The older you get the faster time moves." Amazingly moving coming from a man dying of various illnesses who's been single all his life. He had stomach cancer. Fixed watches and jewelry alongside his partner Mr. Kang

Just found out Mr. Kim passed away 2 weeks ago on a Thursday.

Shocking even though I knew he was dying.

It was a pleasure knowing him even for the short time.


No comments: