Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Lighters

I was driving to the studio this morning and this song came up on the radio and I was thinking how it was catchy and nice to listen to, a pleasant melodic background at best if I didn't really listen to the lyrics. But then if I start to pay attention to the words a little bit,  it initially seems unrelatable, I don't care that you love Eminem like Dre I'm just listening because the music is pleasing to the ear  - I don't care about your personal problems, nothing to do with me. But as I really start to pay attention - it's the dudes story and it makes sense because at some level it's my story. I get it. It suddenly becomes profound, develops meaning and it sounds nice too. Maybe that's what art's about: first you're drawn to it, you like it, want it because it looks pretty and then you stop and look at it at first and think ah he's talking about some funk he's gone through, but then you sit and stare and you realize it reminds you of this or that or the fact that he's going back into his story makes you want to go back into yours. And then who knows where it could go from there. .

A profound morning thought thanks to Eminem, Bruno, and Royce Da 5'9"


You and I know what it's like to be kicked down
Forced to fight
But tonight we're alright
So hold up your light
Let it shine
'Cause this one's for you and me, living out our dreams
We're all right where we should be
Lift my arms out wide I open my eyes
And now all I wanna see
Is a sky full of lighters
A sky full of lighters

No comments: